These days, exposure to EMFs it pretty hard to avoid, especially considering there are also natural EMFs in the world around us. Not only that, but we are surrounded by electrical devices all around us—at home, at the doctor with certain medical tests and procedures, etc. It’s everywhere.
In this article, we’re going to take a look at 10 of the most common sources of EMF radiation. There are literally hundreds, but these ten will give you an idea of how we are exposed to electromagnetic radiation on all sides just about everywhere we go.
1). Tablet radiation: it doesn’t matter if you’re using an iOS or Android device, or even a Kindle. They all emit EMFs. While these devices do emit their own EMF radiation, most of our exposure comes from the devices’ connectivity.
If your device is connected to the Internet via WiFi, then it’s emitting EMF radiation. Why could this be a problem? Because we use these devices close to our bodies. Often, you may find yourself, or see others, holding the tablet close to their head, on their stomach or in their lap.
How to protect against tablet radiation? It’s easy. Whenever you can, just put your tablet into airplane mode. If you’re reading a book or listening to music stored on the device, you really don’t need to be connected to the Internet. Putting the device into airplane mode disables its connection to the Internet, which lowers your exposure to EMF radiation.
When not using your device, put it several inches away from you. Why does this work? Because as you increase the distance away from an EMF source, radiation exposure decreases.
Another option is to buy an anti-radiation case for your tablet.
2). Laptop Radiation: one of the main problems with laptops is that we use them close to us, often in our laps. A laptop’s LCD display, along with the motherboard, are the significant sources of EMFs here. Your exposure to electromagnetic radiation also increases if your laptop is connected to the Internet via WiFi, much like we saw with the tablet. Another source of EMF exposure is Bluetooth.
To protect yourself from laptop radiation:
- Disable the WiFi: if you’re not using the Internet, simply turn off the WiFi receiver on your computer. Another option is to connect to the Internet by using an ethernet cable.
- Limit use: in order to reduce your exposure, when you’re finished working, turn the laptop off and get away from it.
- EMF protection: you can also buy an EMF protector pad for your laptop to limit EMF exposure.
3). Cell Phone Radiation: everyone has a cell phone these days, and seems to spend hours on the device talking, listening, reading, playing games, and more. The danger here is that cell phones emit high levels of EMFs very close to your body. In fact, radiation exposure is highest when you’re on a call, and holding the phone close to your head or against your ear. This is when exposure to radiation is at it’s highest.
Some studies have suggested that cell phone use may cause brain cancer. To protect yourself:
- Use the speakerphone function when you’re taking a call. This is the best way to limit exposure.
- Try texting instead of calling for short, simple messages.
- Purchase an EMF protection phone case to shield yourself from EMF exposure.
4). WiFi Router: this is another significant source EMF radiation exposure. In fact, some countries in the world have created laws to protect people from this type of radiation, especially kids. For instance, in France, nursery schools are not allowed to have WiFi, and its use is very limited in primary schools.
WiFi tends to have a significant effect on our sleep. In fact, it’s a good idea to not have the WiFi router in your bedroom. If you have the router then, then it’s best to turn it off at night.
5). Cell tower radiation: also called cell tower masts, these towers can be a significant source of EMF radiation exposure, especially if you live near one of these. The towers are constantly sending out radio frequency radiation to our mobile phones over long distances. So, people near these towers can experience some health effects.
6). Television radiation: most of us a TV in our home, possibly even several. We don’t often view these are harmful devices, but they do emit EMF radiation. However, most of us keep TVs some distance from our bodies, so these aren’t as much of a problem as cell phones, for instance.
How to protect yourself from TV radiation:
- Don’t allow anyone in your home, you or the kids, sit close to the TV.
- Get an EMF meter, which can help you measure the amount of EMF exposure coming from your TV. You can also use the meter to measure other sources of EMFs in your ho me.
7). Smart meter radiation: utility companies are increasingly pushing us to have smart meters, rather than the old-fashioned meters we all know. Why? Because the smart meters allow meter readers to read your meter from a distance. This uses a wireless technology, with emits a lot of EMF radiation. In addition, smart meters are often placed near a bedroom or other living space, which increases the amount of EMF exposure you and your family receive.
How to protect yourself from smart meter radiation:
- See if you can opt out of having to install a smart meter. Not every place will allow you to opt out; however, some places may allow you to opt out if you pay a fee. Just call your energy company and ask them if it’s possible not to have a smart meter installed.
- Get a smart meter cover—this acts like a faraday cage that you place over the smart meter. It stops almost all of the radiation coming from the meter, while still allowing the meter reader to wirelessly read the meter.
- Use EMF protection paint. This paint contains tiny bits of silver which work to block almost all EMF radiation. You can paint this on the wall behind the smart meter to block radiation exposure.
8). Dirty electricity: what is dirty electricity? This term refers to spikes and surges of EMFs that travel along power lines and the wiring in buildings. Wiring in the US is usually 60 Hertz, or 50 Hertz if you live in Europe. This type of EMF radiation is created by electronics and other devices that need to change the standard electrical current to operate. This can cause inconsistent use of power, leading to spikes and surges of energy, which are unusable.
How to reduce exposure to dirty electricity:
- Replace the most common sources of dirty electricity which include: CFL lightbulbs, computers, TVs, dimmer switches, etc.
- Buy dirty electricity filters for your home, which helps to reduce exposure to EMF radiation from dirty electricity.
9). Fitness trackers: no matter the brand, fitness trackers are guilty of emitting large amounts of EMF radiation. The reason is due to their connectivity to a smartphone via Bluetooth technology. The other issue is that fitness trackers are close to our bodies.
How to protect against fitness tracker radiation:
- Choose to use a fitness tracker that allows you to turn off the Bluetooth.
10). Power line radiation: many of us live near power lines, which are a significant source of EMF exposure. Remember that your exposure levels decrease the farther you are away from the power lines. And keep in mind that exposure to EMF radiation will also be highest directly on the ground under the power line.
How to protect yourself from power line radiation:
Use EMF protective paint (as describe earlier in this article—see smart meter section)
- Install wire mesh frames on the outside of your home’s windows, as these will block EMFs coming in through the window.
- Plant trees and bushes around your home, as these act to block and/or reduce EMF radiation from entering your home.
- Make sure to buy a home that’s some distance from the power line. This is one of the cheapest methods to limit your exposure to EMFs from power lines in the neighborhood. Your home should be about 700 feet from the power line in order to limit radiation exposure.
We hope this article has given you some idea of the sources of EMFs in our lives, along with ways to limit your exposure. Use the cheapest methods first, making sure they are logical, too. Try to avoid gimmicks sold on the Internet that say they offer protection. Instead, if you have questions, turn to a professional EMF surveyor who is trained and qualified to help you with information on EMF radiation.